Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Winter Shopping Finds

I've had a slow accumulation of costume goodies since the beginning of the year and figured now would be a good time to show off some of the lovelies.
First up is a couple of costume books bought with giftcards from Christmas. Fashions of the Gilded Age by Frances Grimble is one I've been eyeing for a long time and cracked down and bought since I want to do a Natural Form dress at some point this year. English Women's Clothing I kept seeing on a lot of the recommended research/reading lists but was unable to acquire through the library. So I figured "what the heck" and bought it. And now I'm never letting it go!



Jennifer at Historical Sewing had said it's detailed, and she wasn't kidding! It provides a detailed description of what was popular for dress, accessories, hair styling, etc. from 1800-1900. Every. Single. Year. That's a lot of information to work with for future projects and ideas.
Joanne Fabrics had a 3 for $5 on their Butterick patterns recently and I went a little crazy and bought every historical pattern that I was even remotely interested in. I can always use an apron for something at some point, right? The haul includes:
  • 6190 Downton Abbey/1910s style evening wear
  • B5831 early 1860s crinoline hoop period sheer dress
  • B5832 an 1840s(?) early hoop period dress
  • B5509 a variety of different apron styles for 1750s-1900s
  • 6630 Regency style dresses
  • B6074 Regency dresses and spencer jacket
When I was in Los Angeles during my vacation, along with my museum visits, we went down to the fashion district. Why I have never been there until now mystifies me greatly. The stores down there are PACKED with all kinds of fabric imaginable.
I picked up this lovely wool (it's actually a much darker green) for only $5 a yard and have future plans for an 1890s skirt for it.
I also picked up 8 yards of white broadcloth. I was told it was 100% cotton and at $2 a yard, I should have known better. A burn test confirmed it's actually some type of cotton/poly blend, but it will still work well for linings and petticoats.

Last fall, Lauren of American Duchess started a couple lines of Exclusives, limited run shoes where they would only make as many shoes as were sold and they would only be offered this one time. For Cyle 2, Belleclaire, a 1900-1910 pump, caught my attention and I just couldn't pass it up. Armed with my Christmas gift card, I reserved a mint green pair and they came about two months later.
They're absolutely lovely and while I have no idea where I'll wear them just yet, I enjoy wearing them around the house at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment