Friday, July 17, 2015

Summertime Swimtime

So I'm sure we all have those projects that forever sit in our mind going, "Make me! Make me!" This is one of those.
Image via Pinterest
I have always been wanting to make a late Victorian bathing costume. I love the look of them, I think they're charming (I've never been a bikini girl), and I would be that kind of nerd to actually wear one if I went swimming somewhere.
Image via Pinterest

While researching, I've found examples of bathing costumes going back to the 1860s and 1870s. My favorite look though is off the sailor style outfits seen mostly during the 1890s through the early 1900s.
Bathing costume 1905-1908 from the Met
Bathing attire 1895 unknown source
Beachwear 1885 from The Met
A lot of the bathing costumes I found are in a navy/white or black/white combination. Other colors that were popular seem to be red and other shades of blue. The one color that caught my eye though was a light green and white combination. Unfortunately, I haven't be able to find any historical examples of this color scheme.
Outfit from Recollections
Image from Ruby Lane via Pinterest
Just a few images and some reproductions showing the green and white. Even though I didn't find any historical examples, I opted to go this route because a lot of my outfits end up being some kind of blue scheme.
I ordered some light green cotton fabric and already had some cream on hand to use. I'm opting to flip the color scheme though and use the green as the primary with the cream as the accent.

The pattern I'm using is from Folkwear, 253 Vintage Bathing Costume. I've only used one other pattern from this company and wasn't too impressed with it, so we'll see how this one goes.

Off to go cut fabric now!

1 comment:

  1. Oh what fun!!! I can't wait to see your VBS and the colors you chose are so wonderful and will look awesome!! Are you done yet?
    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete