Thursday, July 21, 2016

Further 1890s Suit Research

As I plan my vacation and do some small side projects, I'm continuing to look through some reference materials and dig through my stash for supplies that I already have.

To start, I dug up some fabrics that I already had. The first is a length of green-grey wool that I had bought down in the LA Fashion District during a visit home to Southern California in spring 2015. When I bought the fabric, I had already had this project in mind so I made sure to get several yards. I'm opting for the TV291 Walking Skirt, as that's what fits with the outfit in mind.
The fabric photos lighter than what it actually looks like.
I also have this cotton eyelet fabric that I chanced across at Joann's fabric a while ago. I already have TV491 Blouse Waist, but I may opt for TV494 Shirtwaist instead since I'm looking for a more casual appearance.
The eyelet is super lightweight and has small embroidered lines through it.
 Speaking of blousewaists and shirtwaists...

 I moved from the internet to my personal stash of reference material for more inspiration.
Victorian Fashions & Costumes from Harper's Bazar 1867-1898 by Stella Blum
American Victorian Costume in Early Photographs by Priscilla Harris Dalrymple
American Victorian Costume in Early Photographs by Priscilla Harris Dalrymple
Victorian Fashions & Costumes from Harper's Bazar 1867-1898 by Stella Blum
I particularly liked the striped shirtwaist just because of the fabric pattern. The final image of the golf attire is more in line with I'm looking for. I even found a couple of outfits in my paper doll book collection that match this silhouette closely.
American Family of the 1890s by Tom Tierney
American Family of the 1890s by Tom Tierney
I know the 1890s is all about large, leg-o-mutton sleeves, but I'm liking the idea of a slimmer sleeve. We'll see what how it turns out.

Finally, I know I haven't even started the project, but the finishing touch to it showed up in the mail this week. I had pre-ordered American Duchess' new Manhattan boots for a birthday gift to myself and when they came, I immediately knew that these would be going with the outfit upon it's completion. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is going to be fun! I can't wait to see this come together!! I LOVE the 90s!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete