Saturday, August 24, 2013

Gettysburg Battle at Hale Farm, Pt. 2

Here at last, the long overdue Part 2 of my battle Hale Farm weekend. Now for the costuming end of things.

As mentioned in my last post, there were plenty of beautiful ladies there in costume as well and I ran into Sarah Koby from Sarah's Clothespress. A lovely little chance meeting since we used to go to school together and she also does costuming and reenactment.

There were a number of vendors at the event including Amazon Drygoods, a great place for costuming needs. I got to talking with Samantha Hickle, one of the owners about corded petticoats (something I've been looking at on the side for a long time). They sell corded petticoats for a great price and when the time comes, I may look into just buying one from them instead suffering through the headache of making one.

Corded Petticoat from Amazon Drygoods
While at the store, I also picked up a few sewing supplies including this wonderful little book. This is a reproduction of the original and I'm looking forward to reading it.


And last but not least in my little goodie collection is a beautiful embroidered white parasol. I've been wanting a white one for forever, but could never bring myself to buy a battenburg parasol because I'm picky. I found this beauty hiding in a corner of the Artillery Antiques and Collectibles booth and snatched it up.


Unfortunately, I did have a wardrobe malfunction at the event which has lead to my new project, or rather the completion of an old one.

The issue I have with projects is sometimes I stop short of actual completion (time constraints, plan changes, or the common factor - feeling lazy). While I can sometimes get away with it (I have an elliptical hoop with eight pins in it that have been there for 2 years) other times I can't. Because I never finished the casings for my round walking hoop, they kept popping out of place throughout the weekend and required me to constantly rifle through the petticoat layers to fix the issue. 


Culprits of my Civil War wardrobe malfunction
I'm hoping to sit down sometime in the next couple of weeks and the close the casings off so I don't have this issue again. I figure this can be added to that whole Underthings for Every Period project I've been slowly working through.

No comments:

Post a Comment